Sunday, February 10, 2013

So Interconnected - A Story

 It's amazing what a small world the online quilting community really is.  Today, I want to tell you a story....


On Tuesday, when my sweet daughter posted on her blog about the quilt I made her for Christmas,  I got lots of wonderful comments on my own blog posts about the quilt.  It warmed my heart!  

One of those readers read my post about my Waterfall pillow and noticed that I said that while I was at the drugstore, this gorgeous fabric fell into my cart.  Ha!  Ha!



Not many people, I believe, buy gorgeous modern quilt fabric at the drug store.  Our local quilt shop just happens to be A&E Pharmacy.

It's really not much to look at on the outside, but inside is a wonderful selection of lovely modern quilt fabrics, notions, patterns, and a friendly, helpful staff.  If you're ever in Pensacola, this is the place for quilters to come to shop.

This is where I go when I need fabric (of course) or helpful advice.  A&E is where I pulled about 40 bolts to find the coordinating fabrics to finish the swoon blocks featured in the quilt above!  (Oh, I'll bet they loved me when it was time to put those away!!)

Anyway, back to my story...  After reading that comment, Cindy emailed me and said, "Funny, I buy fabric at a drug store too...." and we got to chatting online, quickly realized we both lived in the same town, and she invited me to the Emerald Coast Modern Quilt Guild meeting on Saturday.  I've been meaning to go for months.  I really have.  But it's an hour away, and it just seems so far, and... and... and... (can you hear me whining???)

So, thanks to her kind invitation and suggestion that we convoy over to Crestview, I decided the time was right.  I had such a good time!  The ladies there were so friendly and welcoming.  I felt right at home.

And so talented!  I was so inspired by the beautiful things everyone brought for show and tell.

Kim even brought her Madrona Road Challenge quilt.  Gorgeous, isn't it???  In a stroke of irony, Kim used BD#1's Pointed in the Right Direction pillow tutorial as the focal point in her quilt.  Isn't it fabulous (the quilt, not the picture - it really doesn't do it justice, and I only took one shot ={  )?  Everyone was so complementary of my talented daughter, I felt like I was basking in reflected glory all day!

I even got to wear my cool name tag that lovethesky40 made for me.

And, I was invited to put my Little Apples Quilt in the 2013 Emerald Coast Quilt Show.  I've never entered a quilt in a show before.  This one is far from perfect, and I don't expect it to win anything at all, but Marcy, this year's ECMQG president, said they were looking for examples of modern quilting that had an "I can do that" feel, and this one fills that requirement for sure.  It is a charm square and jelly roll combination, suitable for the beginning quilter.  Of course, I was flattered.


One of the cool things about the ECMQG is that the meeting is combined with a sew day, so there is lots of opportunity to learn and bond and work.  We had a demonstration/lesson on paper piecing by the awesome Kira, using the amazing Wonky Alphabet pattern designed by founding ECMQG member Kelly who blogs at kelbysews.  Kelly was one of my first swap partners.  I still have trouble wrapping my mind around thinking inside out and backwards when paper piecing, but her tips were extremely helpful, and I did end up with a usable (I hope) set of letters for a little Valentine gift.

I also got to meet "the other Kelly" who was the first president of the ECMQG, and who was my partner for Pillow Talk 8 (I think it was 8...)


I even spent a couple of hours quilting my Fairy Tale Friends quilt, which has been sandwiched almost 6 weeks, and sitting there since... um... July???  It's about 50% done now, I think, so I'm excited to have made some progress.  I hope to finish it this week, and start on the next one.



In reflecting on this little set of circumstances, I was struck by how interconnected we all are.  It's kind of amazing really....

All in all, it was it was a fabulous day.  I can't wait to go back.









5 comments:

  1. What a lovely fun day! I'm glad you decided to go and meeting some of our on line quilting friends always makes for a treasured day. I love your story. And if ever I'm in Pensacola, I'll know right where to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day! I am so glad that things went well for you! At times it sure does feel like a small world!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww your so sweet(blush)
    Isn't is amazing how interconnected we are! (I got goose-bumps when I read your post)
    I am so glad I met you Saturday!! Your soooo super talented, I am just drooling over the swoon quilt! I remember last year finding the information on a LQS's web site about ECMQG and emailing to join as I knew no-one who quilted or even liked sewing (even my best of friends) and now I must say I have some very dear friends in our little group!! I can't wait for our next meeting!!
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendi - It is ALL interconnected, isn't it? Really? You've never entered a quilt in a show? Again, WAY to step out of your comfort zone!! BTW, you fit in perfectly with us. I am so glad we "found" each other thru the click of a mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendi - It is ALL interconnected, isn't it? Really? You've never entered a quilt in a show? Again, WAY to step out of your comfort zone!! BTW, you fit in perfectly with us. I am so glad we "found" each other thru the click of a mouse.

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!