Friday, April 27, 2012

The List - Progress Report #1

The other day, I made a list of all the quilty things I need to accomplish.  In the interest of accountability, I plan to keep track of my progress here.  So far, I have completed two of the items on my list.  The first is this Card Trick block for Leona in the Sew and Bee Happy bee.  It looks complicated, but it is a fairly simple 9-patch block.  Leona asked for aqua and red, which is great because I have a lot of both on hand.

Stacey said anything goes, but she is planning to make quilts for her little brothers.  I decided to make rocket ship blocks.  I printed a coloring page from the internet and adapted it to my purposes, then appliqued it onto charcoal Kona.

On a side note, do you have a preference in fusible web products?  I thought they were all pretty much the same, but I've been using Heat N Bond lite for awhile, and just recently purchased Wonder Under.  I had a lot of trouble with the web fusing to the fabric, and then staying on the fabric when I tried to pull the backing away.  If you have thoughts on the subject, I'd love to hear them.

Along those same lines, I recently made a quilt (to be revealed soon) and used 100% cotton batting.  I normally use Warm and Natural or the Poly-fil equivalent, but this 100% cotton was on sale, so I thought I'd try it.  I was very surprised at how much it shrunk.  I don't normally wash my quilts before I give them away, but I did this time, and wasn't really prepared for so much shrinkage.  What do you prefer?


Finally, I have received some lovely blocks recently that I haven't posted.  This one was from Anna (Singing Shells) in the Fall Bee.  She said it was her first attempt at hexies.  Great job, don't you think?

This block came from yayaquilter (Cindy) in the 3x6 Bee.

And this one from Yellow_Bee_58 (Mary), also in the 3x6 bee.

These will both be great additions to my sampler quilt.  Thanks ladies!

And now, instead of sewing, I've got to go to work.  Of course, I've been sorting squares for my Granny Square blocks, so I'm covered in threads.  Oh well.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Love your blocks! I did the card trick a while ago and found it really hard!

    I've always used Bondaweb, but I recently accidentally bought Heat and Bond. They are very much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those blocks. I love the curves from Cindy, that is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer Steam-a-Seam because it has paper on both sides. I don't really like Wonder Under because of the same problem I think you mentioned -- the paper not wanting to release after ironing the glue side to your fabric. I used it for an Advent Calendar that I made for my MIL for Christmas, and was pretty disappointed by how much extra work it entailed, just trying to get all those little pieces of paper off of my appliqués. :)

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!