Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Going Bananas!

I'm not big on recipes around here - heck, I'm not big on cooking at all any more - but this Banana Bread recipe is one folks keep calling to ask for, so I thought I would post the recipe where everyone can find it.  It is moist and flavorful, but not too sweet.  It was actually my Grandma Wheeler's recipe, so I guess you could say it's an heirloom of sorts.  When my kids were little, I couldn't understand why they would beg to buy bananas and then let them sit there and turn black, until one day my little guy said, "Mom, we're waiting for you to make banana bread!"  Well, duh!

And the truth is, he was right.  The closer the bananas are to spoiling (without being moldy or really spoiled of course) the more flavorful your bread will be.  You can hurry it along sometimes by mashing your bananas and letting them sit open to the air for an hour or two.

Grandma's Banana Bread

3 bananas - mashed
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped nuts (if desired)

Mash bananas and set aside.  Cream shortening and sugar.  Add eggs.  Stir in bananas.  Add dry ingredients and vanilla and mix well.  Add nuts if desired.

Divide batter evenly into 2 well-greased 9x5 inch loaf pans.  Bake at 350* for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let set 10 minutes before cutting.  Good warm or at room temperature.

This recipe works very well when doubled.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is the same recipe my mom used and that I still use. I've tried others, but this one is still the best. This bread also freezes well, if it doesn't get eaten before you have time to get it to the freezer!

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!