Thursday, January 20, 2011

Save the Uglies



Do we all do this?  Buy fabric with joy and enthusiasm and get it home and wonder, "What was I thinking?"  Or even this...  We buy fabric for a special project and when we start putting the project together and find that it just doesn't work?  Or something else works better?  Now we have these bits (or worse yet - huge lengths) of fabric or yardage sitting around gathering dust.  This particular photo is one such fabric.  Luckily, I didn't buy any.  It's on the clearance link at fabric.com.  It's called "Snow Much Fun Paisley Chocolate".  I love paisley.  And I love chocolate.  But when I see this fabric it reminds me of little amoebas on the loose.  REALLY glad I didn't buy this one.

Anyway, now there's a solution to the ugly fabric problem.  justabitfrayed has started a campaign to "Save the Uglies" and has a giveaway on her blog to win an "ugly kit" (or you can purchase one for $5) and a competition for the best project using the fabrics in the kit..  And of course, there is a Flickr group called Save the Uglies to showcase your creations.

I'm intrigued by the notion.  It may also be true that (to paraphrase a well known cliche) "one woman's ugly is another woman's treasure."  I have seen some fabrics in quilts and projects that I never would have purchased and thought they were lovely.  And  I have purchased some "lovely" fabrics and later wondered just where is the beauty in those fabrics.

So I'm going to give this a whirl and see what I can come up with. 

Meanwhile, I have a bunch of beauties that need my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!