Friday, November 19, 2010

It's Purple Day!

I have been a team captain for the March of Dimes at work for oh - maybe 10 years.  I'm really not sure, to be honest.  I have been on the Walk Committee for about 6 years.  It has been a fun and rewarding experience.  Wednesday was Prematurity Awareness Day.  The March of Dimes released their Preterm Report Card, and frankly, the results were dismal.  Florida, where I live, scored an "F", as did most of the Southern and Eastern States.  Some of the Western and Midwestern States, including Washington, my home state, scored a "C", which is a little better, but still not great.  Preterm babies cost society more than $26 billion a year.  And the toll on families can't be measured.

Today is PURPLE DAY!  The point is to raise awareness of the issue.  Much can be done through educating moms about prenatal care and warning signs.

We are having a PURPLE DAY contest at work.  When we sent the announcement, I was worried because I didn't hear anything from our team.  Then, the first things I heard were pretty negative.  But then I began to hear "purple" in conversations here and there.  And yesterday, when I left, a whole bunch of folks were staying to decorate their workspaces for the contest.  I can't wait to get to work this morning and see what they have cooked up.  It's going to be a fun day!

Will you please wear PURPLE today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!