Saturday, October 23, 2010

Learning Curves



Sometimes, the things you create don't turn out as you expect.  You have a vision, you execute it, and something just isn't right.  That's the way it has been for me lately as I have tried out new things.  I see it in my mind, but when it comes down to it, it's just slightly off.

A couple of weeks ago, I created a fall table runner.  It was a prototype of something I was really excited about, but it just didn't turn out as I expected.  At first, I realized that the gold leaf in the middle just faded into the background.  It didn't have any pizazz.  In fact, it was pretty blah.  Luckily, Beautiful Daughter #1 is also in the creative mode lately, and I can always count on her to give me honest feedback.  Truly, when she says she "doesn't love it", it needs work.

Always one to use things at hand, I decided maybe if did a little large-scale embroidery it would add what it needed.  Frankly, that was a disaster.  Not only did it not have pizazz, but it looked positively crude.  NOT the right answer.  I played around with other color combinations in a couple of other table runners I made (see, I'm really into table runners this year) and they turned out ok, but every time I came back to this one, I just shook my head. 

Finally, tonight, I sat down and took out the yarn.  That was a real mess since the yarn has so many threads and the needle holes were so big.  What to do now?   I decided to try the same technique, only with perle cotton.  Nope.  It just had to come out.  So I sat down and ripped out the entire center motif.  Creating the new one will have to wait for tomorrow.

Then, when I posted my second ornament for the Handmade Ornament Swap, I was a little hasty.  I thought I followed the instructions, but when maggieb says to trim away the excess, she means ALL the excess.  I didn't realize until I took the photo that it was so lumpy.  Beautiful Daughter #1 also said she "didn't love" the ribbon.  Well, it was a little big and floppy, it's true.  In my own defense, it was late at night, and that's what I thought it looked like in the picture.  Anyway, it's back to the drawing board.  I had thought about crocheting a crochet lace flower for each end, but if you can believe it, I am out of both red and white crochet thread.

So here is attempt #2.   Better now?  I may still try the crochet idea, or look to see if I have some lace in my stash, but I'm going to chew on this look for awhile.  Comments are welcome

Anyway, it's funny how sometimes you have to look at something for awhile and mull it over before you figure out what's wrong. 

And it's great to have feedback from people you know will be honest with you and tell it like it is.   Thanks, Daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!